Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My First Food Post: Eating Healthy!

Hey everyone, so I decided to write another non-jewelry related post! This time it's about cooking and trying to eat healthy.

So as some of you know, I now live by myself in a little studio here in Chicago, IL. For the first time ever, I have my own kitchen, my mom isn't around to feed me when I'm out of food, and I don't have a friendly roommate to share Chinese food with me (Hey girl heeey). This meant that I needed to learn how to: Dum Dum Dum... cook for myself!

Ok, I may be exaggerating just a bit. Cooking isn't as much of an alien skill to me as it might be to some people. But it still is a major change for me to be living by myself with no mother chaperon to remind me to eat healthy!

And so lately I've been making a conscious effort to eat good fresh foods, unprocessed and free of grease/fat. I naturally dislike processed and greasy foods to be honest. I'd take sushi over pizza any given day! But between classes, Hermosa, and just a busy schedule in general, it can be hard to sit down and have a good healthy meal! It is easy to get caught up in the bustle of life and let fattening or otherwise unhealthy foods enter your body. Well anyways, I just wanted to post a few pics of meals I've made that made me really happy! Happy because they are healthy, I don't feel bad eating them, and also because I genuinely loved them!

For example:

Ok, so I cant take too much credit for this one actually! A good friend of mine, who is a salad master by the way, helped me make this awesome, super tasty salad.

It consisted of fish, portabella mushrooms, carrots, a wonderful Asian sesame sauce, soy sauce, and cashews. It was amazing and I definitely felt good about eating it!

Ok, haha now this photo may look a bit strange. Now I didn't take the time to arrange my lunch here nicely on a plate like I did with the salad, and I didn't eat all of this of course, but you get the idea. This was my lunch one day: Fresh strawberries, hummus, pita bread, and sugar free strawberry glaze. Yum yum yum! Totally refreshing and completely delicious!

This lovely sandwich consists of prosciutto, baby spinach, and mayo on toasted sourdough bread. All my favorite things in one sandwich! Amazing!

And last but certainly not least:

My gorgeous prosciutto dinner! Ok. So anyone who has lived with me, or knows me closely, knows about my crazy obsession with prosciutto! I am absolutely addicted to this stuff! For this meal I ate prosciutto with Italian bread and some clementines for dessert. Once again, whole foods, simple, and very satisfying!

Ok, well I hoped you liked this glimpse into my home made meals of choice!

Tell me about some of yours!
And have you been trying to eat healthy yourself?

<3Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. CORALOO!!!
    I've lived with you and definitely know you are addicted to prosciutto. I remember coming into your room at odd hours of the night and you would be like, "want some?" and I'd be like...sure...just a bit. But then I would really want all of it (hahaha)...anyway! I really enjoyed this post. Makes me want to start eating healthy too.

    <3 Your Best Friend & Silver,


    Silver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Yes, mmm I want some proscuitto right now! :D Im glad you liked this post! I knew you would, bc its about foood! :)

    <3Carolyn

    ReplyDelete