Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mackinac Island


Hey everyone, so I promised photos of Mackinac Island, and I didn't forget!
 

Mackinac Island is located in Northern Michigan and is near Canada (Like a 20 min drive I think!). It's a very small island; so small that it consists of only 60 inhabitants! (Learned this from the tour guide, haha) They have a school that apparently only had 3 graduates last year. Yeah! Imagine graduating with a class of 3! And I thought my hometown Antioch, IL was small with our 13,000 population. I can't imagine what it must be like to live on an island with only 60 other people. I bet most of the people that live there must be involved in the tourist industry, or maybe manage the hotels etc. Interesting fact: In the winter, they don't plow the roads, so everyone gets around via snowmobile! That sounds like a lot of fun :)

Anyways, my trip there mainly consisted of fudge and horses. Oh and tourists. The island itself was really pretty, but I didn't it expect it to be so touristy. There were too many little kids running around and cheesy gift shops. Ew. But I bet if I had gotten off of the main roads and had gone hiking on the hills or had a chance to visit the beaches, it would've been much better.  But I was with my family who's not very adventurous... so oh well! It definitely wasn't as authenticate as I'd have liked it to be. But despite it being a bit commercial, it was still a nice break from the city. Here are the photos from my trip!

The main street, full of fudge and bicycles.

The beautiful horse carriages, found all over the island. These carriages, and bicycles, are their main modes of transportation.

Some beautiful flowers.


The boat ride there was just stunning.

The waves from the boat.

Ok, so Mackinac Island was a bit too commercial for me, but it still made for a nice trip. And now I'll leave you all with this lovely photo of me in Mackinac with a real bear xD:




Have you ever been to Mackinac Island? + Did you like it? :)

<3Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, thank you so much! But, we do have 500 year round residents instead of just 60 lol.
    Thanks again,
    Mackinac Island Tourism Bureau

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I wonder why that tour guide said 60? Wow, 500, much better! :)

    ReplyDelete